Cleveland Community College students now have better opportunities to transfer to the State’s public universities thanks to an improved North Carolina Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA). In February, the State Board of Community Colleges and the University of North Carolina Board of Governors adopted the statewide agreement that governs the transfer of credits between NC community colleges and NC public universities and has as its objective the smooth transfer of students.

The CAA provides certain assurances to the transferring student; for example:

  • Assures admission to one of the 16 UNC institutions (Transfer Assured Admissions Policy)*
  • Enables NC community college graduates of two-year Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degree programs who are admitted to constituent institutions of the university of NC to transfer with junior status.*

Here is how it works

A student attends Cleveland Community College for what is typically the freshman and sophomore year of a baccalaureate degree. A student will declare either the Associate in Arts degree or the Associate in Science degree as their major. Both degrees are 60-61 credit hours. The first 30 hours are very prescribed and essentially the same for every student. Courses in English, Math, Social Science (i.e. History, Sociology), Science, Fine Arts (Art or Music), are taken the first year for a full-time student. The student will also take a College Transfer Success course which is designed to help plan the second 30 hours of the Associate degree.

The second year of the two-year degree will focus on two things: 1) the institution the student plans to transfer to; and 2) the program of study the student will major in at that institution. According to Barbara Romich, Dean of Arts and Sciences at CCC, “The new program of study identifies foundational courses that will transfer to all UNC campuses to meet general education requirements, improves transfer success by requiring coursework that maps the students plan from CCC to the university, and encourages students to complete the AA or AS before transferring.”

Dr. Becky Sain, Vice President of Academic Programs, adds, “Statistics shows that our students perform better at a university if they complete the associate degree with CCC than those students who took a few courses and transferred.”

What If I Want to Attend a Private College?

The CAA is currently only guaranteed with the University of North Carolina system. That does not, however, mean that a private college or university will not take your credits. CCC works closely with our local institutions. If you want to transfer to a private college, you should contact the university for recommended courses for transfer.

How Do I Get Started?

The new CAA takes effect this fall. Students can begin taking courses in August. Go to and apply for admission today!
*Please review the CAA for stipulations

Where Can I Transfer?

  • Appalachian State University
  • East Carolina University
  • Elizabeth City State University
  • Fayetteville State University
  • North Carolina A & T
  • North Carolina Central University
  • NC State
  • UNC Asheville
  • UNC Chapel Hill
  • UNC Charlotte
  • UNC Greensboro
  • UNC Pembroke
  • UNC Wilmington
  • Western Carolina University
  • Winston-Salem State